Briefings are short (i.e. less than 15 pages), high level syntheses of information on specific topics that must be approved by the responsible council before being made available. The following briefings are currently available, in order of date of release:
- Moving Smarter: Exploring energy and GHG reduction solutions for Canadian cities (2016)
- Urban Transportation Indicators - Fifth Survey (2016)
- Complete Streets: Policy and Practice in Canada (2015)
This briefing reports on the status of complete streets in provincial and municipal transportation agencies across Canada, and accelerates the transfer of information and lessons learned from more experienced TAC members.
- Urban Transportation Indicators – Fourth Survey (2012)
This report provides a brief summary of the results of the fourth installment of the TAC Urban Transportation Indicators (UTI) Survey, based on 2006 data.
- Sustainable Funding for Urban/Regional Transportation in Canada (2012)
Building on the earlier publications, this briefing summarizes the need for, and benefits of, sustainable funding to build, operate and maintain/rehabilitate urban and regional transportation systems in Canada.
- Climate Data Needs for the Transportation Sector: Climate Change Task Force Discussion Paper (2010)
- Transportation Engineers of 2020: What Skills Will They Need? (2009)
This briefing provides a synopsis of a workshop held at the 2008 TAC Conference. It does not reflect a technical or policy position of TAC.
- Road Pricing in an Urban Context (2009)
This briefing provides an overview of the context, elements, issues, and challenges regarding road pricing, plus an outline of potential groundbreaking initiatives.
- Environmental Principles and Practices (2007)
This briefing presents a number of recommended practices and factors to be considered to both serve people and protect the environment when transportation-related work is planned and undertaken.
Strategies for Sustainable Transportation Planning (2007)
This briefing offers a checklist for agencies as they seek to create transportation plans that effectively contribute to more sustainable transportation.
- Urban Transportation Indicators Survey - Advancing the State of Information on Canada's Urban Areas (2005)
This briefing presents a snap-shot of some of the key trends and results revealed by the Urban Transportation Indicators - Third Survey (2005).
- Urban Transportation and Air Quality (2004)
- Innovations in Financing Urban Transportation (2002)
This briefing provides basic information on innovative models from Calgary / Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal to provide more sustainable funding for the development and maintenance of urban transportation systems, including outcomes and commentary on lessons learned.
Measuring Progress... Toward the New Vision for Urban Transportation (2000)
This briefing provides a synopsis of the Urban Transportation Indicators - 2nd survey.
- Achieving Liveable Cities (1998)
This briefing suggest how municipal leaders facing the challenge of planning and delivering livable cities with shrinking financial resources can look to translate those long term goals into practical, daily decisions and actions.
- New Vision for Urban Transportation (1998)
This reprint of the original 1993 briefing is offered as a service to all who share in the responsibility for tomorrow’s urban transportation systems.
- Transportation Policy Harmonization (1998)
- Financing Urban Transportation (1997)
This briefing proposes a model by which urban areas can finance their new visions for urban transportation.
- Transportation Tax Trends 1993-95 (1996)
- Urban Vision Sampler (1996)
This briefing highlights selected examples of provincial, regional and city initiatives that support one or more of the vision's 13 decision-making principles.